First-Class Care for Women
UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay is home to the Bay Area's first dedicated women's hospital, providing specialized cutting-edge treatment to women at all stages of life.
The new UCSF Betty Irene Moore Women's Hospital at Mission Bay "will allow us to deliver care in a facility designed to promote healing while translating 21st-century science into innovative personalized health care for women," says Dr. Nancy Milliken, director of the UCSF National Center of Excellence in Women's Health.
The hospital's location, adjacent to UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital San Francisco and UCSF Bakar Cancer Hospital, fosters collaboration between colleagues and further improves patient care. For example, a teenage girl needing pelvic surgery can receive support from both pediatric and gynecologic specialists.
Specialized Services for Women at Mission Bay
The women-centered services offered at Mission Bay include:
- Obstetrics and gynecology
- Gynecological surgery, including care for women with uterine fibroids at the Comprehensive Fibroid Center and treatment for bladder problems and incontinence at the Center for Women's Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- Prenatal care, which includes comprehensive care for uncomplicated pregnancies as well as complex, high-risk pregnancies; our popular Centering Pregnancy group-based care program; and genetic screening, counseling and testing
- Birth Center, with 36 beds and nine labor and delivery suites featuring spa-like amenities
- Postpartum care, including lactation support, patient rooms that facilitate mother-child bonding and our distinguished Intensive Care Nursery
- Cancer treatment
- Women's Health Resource Center, which provides expert information and classes on a variety of women's health issues, such as breast-feeding, child-rearing and pregnancy
In addition, the renowned UCSF Center for Reproductive Health, which launched one of the Bay Area's first in-vitro fertilization programs in the 1980s, will be located across the street from the hospitals.
A Warm Environment That Promotes Healing
With the understanding that hospital stays can be stressful for patients and their families, we've designed our women's hospital to promote peace and healing.
The space includes more than 4 acres of greenery, including lovely rooftop gardens; meditation rooms; balconies and terraces; 100 percent fresh air throughout the hospital; beautiful artwork; and patient rooms with city or garden views from every bed.
And because companionship is vital to recovery, each patient room includes a family area, where loved ones can visit or spend the night comfortably.